Soft and aromatic 2-ingredient cake made with only marzipan and eggs, this is probably the easiest cake you could make.
You will not believe that this cake is only made with marzipan and eggs. Nothing else and it still tastes amazing has a super consistency and will look so good on your table.
What is marzipan?
Marzipan is a very popular confection in Germany and Western Europe. You should see the German stores around Easter and Christmas, full of marzipan balls, marzipan covered in chocolate, marzipan animals and so on. You can buy it at any time of the year, but especially around the holidays, the stores are just full of it.
Marzipan is made of ground almonds and sugar (sometimes honey) and it is used to make sweets. It can be additionally flavored with rose water or almond extract. The French marzipan is made with sugar syrup instead of icing sugar and that makes it lighter in flavor.
In Germany, the kind of marzipan used for covering cakes is sold in little blocks. Regular marzipan is not completely white, but more of a very light beige color and that allows you to color the marzipan with food coloring if you want to use it for making decorations.
Marzipan paste is also commonly used to cover fondant cakes before applying the fondant. That is a more typical technique for the UK, I never use a marzipan layer under fondant.
And if you would like to make marzipan yourself, have a look at this homemade marzipan recipe.
Difference between marzipan paste and almond paste?
Marzipan is not to be confused with almond paste and normally you should not substitute one for another.
But you can substitute almond paste for marzipan to make this two-ingredient cake, it will not matter that much.
While they are both made of ground almonds and sugar, almond paste is coarser, contains much more almonds, and it is less sweet.
As already mentioned marzipan is used to make sweets and to cover cakes, while the almond paste is normally used as an ingredient for making cake fillings, for instance.
How to make a cake with two ingredients?
- Cut the marzipan (Amazon affiliate link) into small pieces.
- Place them in the food processor/stand mixer.
- Add two eggs and start processing the mixture, adding the remaining eggs two at a time and mixing well in between.
- The mixture should be completely smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared springform and bake in the preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to 110 degrees Celsius/ 230 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 65-70 more minutes until lightly golden.
- The baking time depends on your oven, so make sure you start checking soon enough, after about 50-55 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick or skewer in the middle of the 2-ingredient cake, it should come out clean with no small crumbs sticking to it.
- If the toothpick is not yet clean, continue baking and check every 5 minutes or so.
- Once baked, turn off the heat and leave it in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest in the springform for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the tin and let cool on a wire rack.
- This marzipan cake is so aromatic, you will not need anything else to enjoy it. The icing sugar is purely decorative, you don't really need it. A small slice of it and a cup of coffee are just heaven!
- However, there are lots of other delicious things you could serve on top or on the side.
- My favorite topping is fresh strawberries and if we have guests maybe a bit of whipped cream.
- Otherwise, why not try other fresh berries, a blueberry sauce or cherry sauce?
- Or try some roasted vanilla pears or roasted cherries. A perfect fit as well.
More easy cakes?
Lime Drizzle Cake - Super moist. Learn how to make an easy lime cake that your children will love!
Healthy Apple Cake - Low calorie, low-fat, without butter or oil.
Moist Apple and Cinnamon Cake - Probably your new favorite apple traybake recipe.
Baileys Bundt Cake - A boozy, moist and delicious Baileys bundt cake.
Sweet Potato Brownies - These sweet potato brownies are some of the best brownies I have ever tasted. Moist, comforting and incredibly delicious, this is the most decadent way of eating sweet potatoes!
Pin it for later!
First published: March 23, 2015.
Last updated: March 22, 2020.
2- Ingredient Cake
- 14 oz marzipan
- 8 eggs
- icing sugar and strawberries for decoration optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the marzipan into small pieces and place them in the food processor. Add the eggs two at a time and mix until you have a smooth paste with no lumps in it. Butter a springform (26 cm/10-inch diameter) and pour the batter into it.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes. Turn down the heat to 110 degrees Celsius/ 230 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 65-70 more minutes until lightly golden.
- Start checking after 50 minutes at 110 degrees Celsius/ 230 degrees Fahrenheit by sticking a toothpick in the middle of the cake. It should come out clean, with no bits clinging to it. If there are still bits sticking to it, continue baking and check every 5 minutes.
- Rest: Turn off the heat and leave the cake another 10 minutes in the oven. Then, take it out, let it rest in the form for about 15 minutes, remove it from the form, and transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar if you wish. Serve as suggested above.