Tender cake with apples, cinnamon and a crunchy sugar topping.
Secret Recipe Club time again. This time with a sweet, simple cake, something to bake together with your children on a rainy, Sunday afternoon. Chop some apples, stir a few ingredients, the kids will have a great time and the result will be well worth it. Such a great combination of tender crumb, soft and aromatic apples and then that sugar crunchy crust, which is just the best!
I chose the recipe for the Cinnamon Sugar Apple Cake from the many many recipes found on my assigned blog this month: The Pajama Chef. I was looking for something with apples and Sarah’s blog is full of them, I really had a hard time choosing. Actually I ended up making two recipes, because I just couldn’t decide. Both were delicious, but this sugar cake was a whole family favorite, my mother-in-law just couldn’t stop eating! The other recipe I made were these wonderful Peanut Butter Apple Oatmeal Cookies, which I can totally recommend as well.
Sarah is a peanut butter and cats lover living with her husband Ben in Nashville, Tennessee. She’s an academic librarian, which I have to admit is a job I would like to have myself. I love books and libraries, so that would be ideal for me. She’s been running The Pajama Chef since 2010 and her blog is full of great recipes. Some that I would like to try are the Chicken Enchilada with Green Chili Sour Cream Sauce , The Best Ever Homemade Pizza, The Lemon Crinkle Cookies or the Caeser Salad with Fried Chickpeas. Make sure to visit Sarah’s blog, I am sure you will find many recipes you would like.
I have a sad news though: the Secret Recipe Club will close soon, November will be the last time I will have the pleasure of getting to know a new blog belonging to the club, the last time I will search a recipe to feature on my own blog. I am really sorry about it, I’ve only joined at the beginning of this year and I was hoping to be a part of this club for a longer time…
- For the cake:
- 200 g/ 1 cup brown sugar
- 75 ml/ ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 230 ml/ 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 300 g/ 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 225 g/ 1 ½ cups chopped apples
- For the topping:
- 100 g/ ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius/ 325 degrees Fahrenheit. I used a ceramic casserole form 22x33 cm/ 9x13 inch, which I placed in the cold oven before turning it on. I find this to be good when baking in ceramic forms, otherwise I find that the dish needs a longer baking time than it would need in another kind of dish. You will not need to do this if using a regular cake pan.
- Whisk together with an electric mixer the brown sugar, oil, egg and buttermilk. Add the baking soda and the vanilla extract. Mix in the flour and then the chopped apples.
- Melt the tablespoon butter in a small pan. Remove from heat and add the granulated sugar and the cinnamon. Stir to mix.
- Take the casserole form out of the oven (if you decided to use a ceramic dish as well). Place a small knob of butter into it and move it around the dish with a brush to grease the form all over. Pour the batter into the dish. Top with the butter-sugar-cinnamon mixture. Place back in the oven, but don't forget the dish is already hot (I forgot and burned my fingers).
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until a deep golden brown. You can serve the cake warm or at room temperature.
[inlinkz_linkup id=661106 mode=1]
Rate this recipe!
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!