A delightful vegetarian meal with broccoli, mushrooms and some crumbled blue cheese on top, a slice of bread on the side and you will not need anything more for dinner. Low-fat, low-calorie but high in taste.
I’ve made this dish quite a few times lately, I just like it so much, either as a meal on its own or as a side dish for chicken or fish. When eaten as a side dish I only make about half of it.
Without further ado (I am completely uninspired today) here is the recipe for one of my favorite broccoli dishes:
- 450 g/ 1 lb broccoli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 450 g/ 1 lb button mushrooms
- 50 g/ 2 oz blue cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- crusty bread to serve
- Clean the broccoli, chop the stem into cubes and divide the florets.
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil. Add the broccoli stem cubes first. After one minute add the broccoli florets and boil for about 3 minutes, they should not get too soft. Drain and refresh under cold water. Let drain well.
- In the meantime clean the mushrooms by rubbing them well with some kitchen paper and halve the larger ones, if necessary.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan (I use my Lodge pan for this purpose). Cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes, until golden. Add the broccoli and mix well. Cook, covered, for about 3 minutes, stirring carefully a few times in between.
- Season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper and scatter the crumbled cheese on top. Leave to stand for 1 or 2 minutes to allow the cheese to melt a little bit.
- Serve with some crusty bread as a main dish or with grilled or pan-fried chicken breast or fish as a side dish.