A delightful vegetarian meal with broccoli, blue cheese, and mushrooms, a slice of bread on the side and you will not need anything else for dinner. Low-fat, low-calorie but high in taste.
I’ve made this broccoli blue cheese skillet quite a few times lately, I just like it so much. It is delicious served either as a meal on its own or as a side dish for chicken or fish. When eaten as a side dish I only make about half of it.
What do you need?
- Broccoli: one head. It usually weighs about 500 g/ 1 lb. Frozen can be substituted. Add to the pan while still frozen and cook as instructed. After 3-4 minutes it should be defrosted and very slightly cooked. If the frozen florets are very large (like my frozen broccoli often is), cut it into smaller pieces once cool enough to handle.
- Mushrooms: I like button mushrooms for this recipe, they are just so pretty. However, mushrooms of any size can be used instead, just slice or quarter them. Why not try some wild mushrooms if available, they would be great as well?
- Blue cheese: most sorts are vegetarian, meaning that they are made without animal rennet. However, it is always best to check the label, if you are a vegetarian. Gorgonzola is definitely not vegetarian, as it is a DOC listed (Denominazione di origine controllata – controlled designation of origin ), it has to be made with animal rennet otherwise it cannot be called Gorgonzola. Some Roquefort sorts are not vegetarian either.
- But if you have some Gorgonzola and are not a vegetarian, try this Creamy Gorgonzola Risotto with Pumpkin.
- Other ingredients: olive oil, butter, salt, and pepper.
How to make broccoli and mushrooms with blue cheese?
- Cut the broccoli into florets. Peel the stem and cut it into smallish cubes.
- Blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes and refresh under cold running water. This will make it vibrant green. Let drain well.
- Clean the mushrooms by rubbing them with kitchen paper. Don’t wash them unless they are covered in dirt that you cannot remove otherwise. Washing them will make them soak some water. If using button mushrooms, halve the larger ones. If using larger mushrooms quarter them or slice them thickly.
- Heat the oil and the butter in a large cast-iron skillet.
- Cook the mushrooms until golden, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add broccoli and cook, covered, for about 3 minutes, stirring carefully a couple of times in between.
- Season well, crumble the cheese on top, and let stand for a couple of minutes until the cheese melts slightly.
How to serve?
Serve with crusty bread as a main dish. You can also make broccoli mushroom blue cheese pasta or serve the cheesy vegetables over rice. Make a simple green salad with yogurt dressing or vinaigrette on the side.
Or serve as a side dish with cast-iron chicken breast or thighs, with cast-iron pork tenderloin, with any kind of grilled/pan-fried meats or sausages. A super side dish for Brats in the Oven or Brats in the Air Fryer.
More broccoli and mushrooms:
- Broccoli Potato Casserole
- Buttered Vegetables
- Baked Broccoli and Cauliflower Balls
- Best Mushrooms for Steak
- Easy Mushroom Stew
- Mushroom Gravy for Chicken
Broccoli and Mushrooms (with Blue Cheese)
- 1 lb broccoli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 lb mushrooms
- 2 oz blue cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Clean the broccoli, peel, and chop the stem into cubes and divide the florets.
- Cook broccoli: Bring a large pan of water to a boil. Add the broccoli stem cubes first. After one minute, add the broccoli florets and boil for about 3 minutes; they should not get too soft. Drain and refresh under cold water. Let drain well.
- Clean mushrooms: In the meantime, clean the mushrooms by rubbing them well with kitchen paper. Halve the larger ones.
- Cook mushrooms: Heat the oil and butter in a large cast-iron skillet or heavy-bottomed/non-stick pan. Cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes, until golden. Add the broccoli and mix well. Cook, covered, for about 3 minutes, stirring a few times carefully in between.
- Add cheese: Season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper and scatter the crumbled cheese on top. Leave to stand for 1 or 2 minutes to allow the cheese to melt slightly.
- Serve with crusty bread, pasta or rice as a main dish or as a side dish.