Broccoli and sweet potato soup with chickpeas and turmeric. A healthy, vegan soup to keep you warm on a rainy day.
The broccoli and sweet potato soup is a "cold day soup". It will warm you up from inside out, you'll get red cheeks while eating it, and if you overdo it with the chili and hot sauce (like I did), you will probably get a runny nose as well.
But the soup is gooood, so good that you will probably have no problems eating it 3 days in a row (like I did).
- Cheap and healthy vegetables like onions, garlic, broccoli, and sweet potatoes.
- Spices like red chili flakes (to taste), cumin, coriander, turmeric, sriracha, or any other hot chili sauce you like. Again use to taste.
- Alternative: make the soup with other vegetables. Try cauliflower, regular potatoes, carrots, and so on. Add spinach or kale.
- Vegetable broth: use good quality broth, either homemade or bought.
How to make broccoli sweet potato soup?
- Prepare the vegetables, but keep them separated as they will come in the pot at different times.
- Cook the onion first. Add the garlic and the spices. Stir well.
- Add the sweet potato cubes and the chopped broccoli stem. You can make the soup using only stems if you have them leftover from making something else.
- Add broth and cook for about 5 minutes or until the veggies are almost soft.
- Add the broccoli florets and the drained chickpeas, and cook the broccoli and sweet potato soup until the sweet potatoes are soft.
You can serve the broccoli chickpea soup immediately, or you can easily reheat it.
And check out What to Serve with Soup? (25 Ideas).
More warming soups
Broccoli and Sweet Potato Soup
Broccoli and sweet potato soup with chickpeas and turmeric. A healthy, vegan soup to keep you warm on a rainy day.Print Pin Share GrowSaved! Rate
Servings: 4 -6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sweet potato
- ½ head broccoli
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ turmeric
- ½ -1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1,2 liter/ 41 fl.oz/ 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can chickpeas
- 3-4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or another hot chili sauce
- fine sea salt and black pepper
- Chop the onions, set aside. Finely chop the garlic, set aside. Peel and cube the sweet potato, chop the broccoli stalk into cubes, set both aside. Divide the rest of the broccoli into small florets. Drain and wash the chickpeas. Keep the broccoli florets and the chickpeas separated from the rest of the vegetables.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Cook the onions until golden, add the garlic and the spices, and let cook for another minute or so until fragrant.
- Add the sweet potato and the broccoli stalk and stir to coat with the spices. Let cook for about 1-2 minutes taking care not to burn the garlic and the spices.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring everything to a boil. Let cook for about 5 minutes. Add the broccoli florets and the chickpeas. Let cook until the sweet potato is soft (it won't take too long).
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, sriracha, stir well and adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
Serving: 1/4 of the soup | Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 2147mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 9g
Tried this Recipe? Pin it for Later!Mention @adinabeck or tag #WhereIsMySpoon!
Leave a Reply