A simple soup today with carrots, leeks, peanuts and coconut milk. It is quick to make, vegan, low cost and delicious. I used a mild curry powder to make it, but you can easily make it spicier by using a hotter curry powder or curry paste, if that is what you have.
Not much talk today, I am going out again to enjoy the wonderful weather.
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 300 g/10.5 oz carrots
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 200 g/ 7 oz leek
- ½ or 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 750 ml/ 3 cups vegetable broth
- 100 g peanuts
- 1 can coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- Chop the garlic and the onion finely, cut the carrots and the leek into thin slices.
- Heat the oil in a pot and saute the onion, garlic and carrots lightly. Add ½ cup of the vegetable broth, allow the liquid to reduce, then add the leek, honey and curry powder. Mix well and then add the rest of the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and let cook for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are almost soft.
- In the meantime roast the peanuts in a large pan without using any fat. Shake the pan a lot while doing this. When the peanuts are roasted transfer them immediately on a plate.
- Add the coconut milk to the soup, bring to a boil and let simmer for a few more minutes. Turn off the heat and add the peanuts to the soup. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper.