Healthy carrot rice recipe, a flavorful side dish or light main meal made with only a few ingredients and ready to serve in less than 30 minutes.
Carrot rice and rice dishes generally are a staple in our house, I’ve cooked these grains in so many different ways, I stopped counting a long time ago. If you would like to try some of our favorites, have a look at this traditional Romanian pilaf with chicken or its vegan version. For other international flavors, try this Korean Gochujang fried rice, the Spanish rice and beans, or this Costa Rican Gallo Pinto.
- Any kind of long-grain rice if fine, but I prefer to use basmati or jasmine, they have more flavor than plain sorts.
- Basmati is traditionally used in the Indian and South Asian cuisines, while jasmine is used more frequently in Thailand and Southeast Asia. They are pretty similar in looks and flavor.
- Both usually need to be cooked for about 10 minutes, but check the packet’s instructions.
- Plain long-grain sorts might need longer, those that I usually buy need between 12 and 15 minutes. Again checking the packet’s instructions is best.
- I use Madras curry very often when making carrot rice. Not only I love its flavor, but I also love its yellow color which fits this dish very well.
- It is only mildly hot, so 2 teaspoons will not add too much heat.
- You can use another sort of curry powder, whatever you like or have in the pantry. Just remember to adjust the amount you use, if your powder is spicier.
How to make?
- Saute the onion, add the garlic and curry powder. Stir well. (1)
- Add rice and grated carrots, stir well. (2)
- Pour in the vegetable stock, stir. (3)
- Cook, covered for about 10 minutes until grains and vegetables are tender. (4)
- Let stand, covered, for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Stir in the butter and serve.
- Wash the rice before cooking it. I am mentioning it because I know many people who don’t do it. Rinsing it not only cleans it, but it helps keep the grains moist.
- Don’t stir it while it’s cooking, that would make it sticky. Also, if you stir when it is almost done, you might crush some of the grains.
- Try not to lift the lid during cooking time, it is better left alone, and not too much steam should escape during cooking.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes (up to 10) before serving. It makes it fluffier.
How to store the rice?
- Rice should not be left at room temperature for more than two hours.
- If you have leftovers, cover them and keep them refrigerated.
- The leftover keep well in the fridge for about 3 days and they can be reheated.
- You can reheat on the stove. Add a splash of water or vegetable broth, cover the pot and reheat gently for 4-5 minutes while stirring frequently and breaking the lumps.
- The leftovers can be frozen for up to one month as well.
How to serve?
You can serve the carrot rice as a light main meal with a green salad with vinaigrette or yogurt dressing on the side.
More rice side dishes:
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or olive oil)
- 2 teaspoons curry (Note 1)
- 300 g/ 10.6 oz/ 1 ½ cups long grain rice (Note 2)
- 250 g/ 8.8 oz/ 2 ½ cups grated carrots
- 600 ml/ 20 fl.oz/ 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 heaped tablespoon butter
- Finely chop the onion. Grate the garlic cloves. Keep them separated.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Cook the onions for about 2 minutes until slightly translucent.
- Add the garlic and curry powder and stir continuously for 1 minute.
- Add the rice and the grated carrots and stir for 1 minute until everything is well mixed.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, stir, cover the pot. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 10-12 minutes until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed. Check the rice.
- Leave, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Carefully, mix in the butter until melted. Fluff with a fork and serve.
- I had Madras curry, which is very flavorful but only mildly hot. Use any kind of curry mixture you like and adjust the amount according to taste. If the curry is very hot, you might want to use a smaller amount.
- Basmati or jasmine rice are great, but more plain long-grain rice is super as well. Basmati and jasmine usually need about 10 minutes of cooking time, while other sorts of long-grain rice might need 12 to 15 minutes. Check the packet's instructions on the matter and prolong the cooking time accordingly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 of the dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 484mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information is not always accurate.