A flavorsome rhubarb chicken curry with coconut milk, raisins and apples.
This rhubarb chicken curry might sound unusual, but it is really worth making! It is full of flavor, creamy and comforting, every bite is a delight!
Another rhubarb recipe, another curry, hopefully, you are still in the mood for rhubarb. I know I still am and I am trying to make the most of the season. For instance, this Rhubarb and Fish Curry, the Rhubarb Chicken, or the Rhubarb Meringue Cake.
Fruit (although rhubarb is technically a veggie):
- I paired rhubarb and apples again (love the combination) and added some raisins for sweetness.
- Chicken breast pieces.
- Alternatively, you can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into pieces.
- I use green curry powder, but the yellow one is a fine choice as well.
- Make sure you know how spicy the curry is, it differs from one sort and one brand to another.
- The green curry powder I have is not particularly hot, so I was fine with two tablespoons. Just check before you add it to the dish.
- Some coconut milk also helps a lot in cutting through the tartness of the rhubarb, making the whole dish wonderfully creamy and giving it a lovely flavor.
- For the curry sauce you will also need garlic, chili flakes, fresh ginger, white wine vinegar, and some honey.
How to make rhubarb curry?
- Cut the chicken into small pieces.
- Mix with the grated garlic and ginger, chili flakes, curry powder, oil, and vinegar in a bowl. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Cook the chopped rhubarb, apples, and onion in the melted coconut oil for a few minutes.
- Add the honey, stir well for about 1 minute and remove everything from the pan.
- Wipe the pan clean.
- Cook the chicken pieces in the same pan in two batches, 2-3 minutes per batch until nicely brown. Don’t overcrowd the pan or the chicken will stew instead of browning.
- Add the apple mixture, raisins, and coconut milk, bring to a gently boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- The sauce should be slightly thickened, the chicken cooked through and the rhubarb softer but not mushy.
- Serve with rice.
Make in advance:
Like all curries this dish can be made in advance and reheated. It keeps well in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- 500 g/ about 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 piece fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes, to taste
- 2 tablespoons green curry powder, to taste (See note)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 350 g/ 12.3 oz rhubarb
- 1 large apple
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 can coconut milk (400 g/ 14 oz)
- Slice the chicken breast into 2 cm/0.8-inch pieces. Grate the garlic, chili, and ginger. Place everything in a bowl, add the curry powder, oil, and vinegar, mix well, cover the bowl and marinate for about 1-2 hours.
- In the meantime clean the rhubarb and cut it into 3 cm/1.6-inch pieces. If the rhubarb stalks are too wide, cut them lengthwise first and then into the smaller strips. Slice the unpeeled apple thinly and chop the onion finely.
- Heat the skillet and melt the coconut oil. Add the rhubarb, apple and onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring gently. Add the honey, stir again, and remove everything from the pan.
- Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel. Take the chicken slices out of the marinade and cook in 2 batches, about 2-3 minutes each batch. Stir a few times to make sure that the chicken browns on all sides.
- Return the rhubarb-apple mixture back to the pan, add the raisins and the coconut milk, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes, the sauce should thicken slightly, the chicken should be cooked through and the rhubarb should be soft but not mushy.
- Serve with rice.
Yellow curry powder or curry paste can be used instead. Check how hot it is and use it accordingly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 of the curry
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 596Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 5gSugar: 15gProtein: 43g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.