Last Updated on 30/05/2020 by Adina
Soft and delicious English rhubarb custard pudding to celebrate the season. A Nigella Lawson recipe.
Nigella’s Rhubarb Custard
Nigella Lawson’s delicious rhubarb custard, an English-style pudding or dessert.
Rhubarb time again!!!!!!!! So happy! I just love this kind of seasonal product, that makes one happy that either spring or autumn or whatever is there again. Rhubarb, asparagus, and elderflower in spring or pumpkin in autumn, just wonderful.
I like anything made with rhubarb, so you will probably get a few more recipes posted here before the season is over. Have a look at this blueberry rhubarb jam, this simple syrup or this amazing meringue pie, the best there is, really!
This sweet and tart rhubarb custard dessert is a recipe I found in Nigella Lawson’s book “How To Eat”.
I think I might have mentioned it before how great this book is, not only the recipes in it but mostly the way it is written. I can actually read this like reading a novel. I never had that with any other cookbook except for Nigella’s cookbooks.
Other rhubarb puddings or desserts:
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz/ ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 kg/ 2.2 lbs rhubarb
- 100 ml/ 3.4fl.oz/ scant ½ cup water
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 75 g/ 2.6. oz/ 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 600 ml/ 20 fl.oz/ 2 ½ cups full-fat milk
- Clean the rhubarb and chop into small pieces, about 3 cm/ 1.2 inch. Place in a pot and add the water and 100 g sugar. Cover, bring to a boil, and cook for about 5 minutes until the rhubarb turns to pulp. Strain through a sieve, but don't push through the strainer.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius/ 320 degrees Fahrenheit. Beat the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla extract with a fork. Bring the milk to a boil, but don't actually let it boil. Add the milk to the egg mixture while beating with the fork. Add the rhubarb and stir gently. Pour everything into a baking dish.
- Place the baking dish into a larger baking tray, pour boiling water into the larger tray to come around halfway up the baking dish containing the custard.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. It is done when the top of the custard is quivering to the touch but it is not liquid. Take the custard out of the water and let stand for a while before eating, it will continue setting while it stands.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/6 of the dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 255mgSodium: 114mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 3gSugar: 31gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.