A luscious strawberries and cream dessert with meringue, what better way to celebrate spring!
A very quick dessert for the weekend. These strawberries and cream cups with meringue are definitely heaven in a cup!
This strawberry and cream dessert with meringue was more of a way of using up the rest strawberries and other stuff I had in my fridge, but the result - a kind of twist on an Eton Mess - is definitely worth making. Everybody loved this, and after eating it, I quickly wrote down the recipe so that I don't forget to make it again.
- Meringue: Store-bought meringue, but homemade would be great as well.
- Sugar: Be careful with the sugar; the meringue is already very sweet, so don't add too much sugar to the cream cheese mixture.
- The strawberries and cream dessert cups need to spend some time in the fridge before being eaten, and the meringues will kind of disintegrate during this time so that, in the end, everything will be sweeter than you thought it would be at first.
- Strawberries: Ripe and sweet, the best you can get.
- Cream cheese and yogurt: You can use full-fat yogurt if you wish; I use low-fat because that is the kind of yogurt I have in the fridge most of the time. And I have never noticed any difference when I mix low-fat yogurt instead of full-fat in a dessert like this one.
- Just make sure that the yogurt is creamy, Greek-style yogurt. The cream cheese I always use is a creamy sort as well, Philadelphia style.
How to make strawberry and cream dessert?
Making this strawberry and cream dessert is very easy. And the best part about it is that you can make the dessert in advance and let it in the fridge until ready to serve.
That makes it a perfect dessert for entertaining! You will have it ready on time and not worry about it anymore. From fridge to the table!
- Wash the strawberries. Top and cut into small pieces. Set aside.
- Beat the heavy cream until stiff. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth. Fold in the heavy cream.
- Build the dessert cups. You can use nice dessert cups if you have any; if not, this strawberries and cream dessert look fabulous when layered in jars or ordinary drinking glasses, which have a nice form.
- Place some cream cheese mixture at the bottom of 6 dessert cups or jars. Add some meringues, crushing them with your fingers, on top of the cream. Add some chopped strawberries. Repeat these layers one more time, finishing with strawberries.
- Place the cups in the fridge and let them stand for a few hours before serving. The meringues will mostly disintegrate, making the dessert creamy and sweet.
And why not celebrate the strawberries while they are still in season with some Strawberry Mascarpone Dessert with White Chocolate, Romanian Strawberry Foam, Strawberry Tiramisu, or a luscious Brownie Strawberry Torte?
Strawberries and Cream Dessert with Meringue
- 1 ⅓ cup cream cheese 300 g, 10.5 oz, Note 1
- 1 ¼ cup yogurt Greek style, 300 g/ 10.5 oz
- 1 cup heavy cream 230 ml
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- some vanilla extract to taste
- 1 lb strawberries 450 g
- 20 meringues 60 g/ 2 oz
- Whip the heavy cream until stiff. Set aside.
- Combine: Mix cream cheese, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth in a large bowl. Fold in the heavy cream.
- Chop the strawberries.
- Assemble the dessert: Place some cream cheese mixture at the bottom of 6 dessert cups or jars. Add some meringues, crushing them with your fingers on top of the cream. Add some chopped strawberries. Repeat these layers one more time, finishing with strawberries.
- Refrigerate: Place the cups in the fridge and let them stand for a few hours before serving. The meringues will mostly disintegrate, making the dessert creamy and sweet.