A luscious strawberries and cream dessert with meringue, what better way to celebrate spring!
A very quick dessert for the weekend. These strawberries and cream cups with meringue are definitely heaven in a cup!
STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM DESSERT
This strawberry and cream dessert with meringue was more of a way of using up the rest strawberries and other stuff I had in my fridge, but the result – a kind of twist on a Eton Mess – is definitely worth making. Everybody loved this and after eating it, I quickly wrote down the recipe, so that I don’t forget to make it again.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE STRAWBERRY CREAM AND MERINGUE DESSERT
I used already made meringues, I still had ½ a package in my pantry, but you can make your own if you wish. I am sure that homemade meringue will only make things better. Here is a great recipe for making the meringues needed for the strawberry and cream dessert.
Careful with the sugar, the meringues are already very sweet, so don’t add too much sugar into the cream cheese mixture.
The strawberries and cream dessert cups need to spend some time in the fridge before being eaten and the meringues will kind of disintegrate during this time, so that in the end, everything will be sweeter than you thought it will be at first.
When it comes to strawberries, I always preach the same thing, buy the best ones you can get. And the best you can get are probably those grown locally. Watery strawberries from far away don’t make any sense, they only taste of sour water.
Cream cheese and yogurt:
This recipe was not intended to be an Eton Mess, but after seeing similar looking pictures of delicious strawberry desserts online, I’ve realized that this particular strawberries and cream dessert very much resembles the classic English Eton Mess.
However, it is probably just a little bit lower in calories as it doesn’t use only heavy cream, but a combination of cream cheese and low-fat creamy yogurt.
You can use full-fat yogurt, if you wish, I use low-fat because that is the kind of yogurt I have in the fridge most of the times. And I have never noticed any difference when I mix low-fat yogurt instead of full-fat in a dessert like this one.
Just make sure that the yogurt is creamy, Greek-style yogurt. The cream cheese I always use is a creamy sort as well, Philadelphia style.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM DESSERT CUPS
Making this strawberries and cream dessert is very easy. And the best part about it is that you can make the dessert in advance and let it in the fridge until ready to serve.
That makes it a perfect dessert for entertaining! You will have it ready on time and not worry about it anymore. From fridge to the table!
- Wash the strawberries. Top and cut into small pieces. Set aside.
- Beat the heavy cream until stiff. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, yogurt, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Fold in the heavy cream.
- Build the dessert cups. You can use nice dessert cups, if you have any, if not, this strawberries and cream dessert looks fabulous when layered in jars or ordinary drinking glasses, which have a nice form.
- Give some of the cream cheese mixture at the bottom of 6 dessert cups or jars. Add some meringues, crushing them with your fingers, on top of the cream. Add some chopped strawberries. Repeat these layers one more time, finishing with strawberries.
- Place the cups in the fridge and let stand for a few hours before serving. The meringues will mostly disintegrate making the dessert creamy and sweet.
And why not celebrate the strawberries while they are still in season with some Strawberry Mascarpone Dessert with White Chocolate, Romanian Strawberry Foam, Strawberry Tiramisu or a luscious Brownie Strawberry Torte?
This is an updated post from May 2015.
- 300 g/ 10.6 oz/ 1 1/3 cup cream cheese (See note 1)
- 300 g/ 10.6 oz / 1 1/4 cup yogurt (I used creamy low fat)
- 200 g/ 7 oz/ scant 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- some vanilla extract (to taste)
- 500 g/ 1.1 lbs strawberries
- about 20 mini meringues, 60 g/ 2.1 oz
Beat the heavy cream until stiff. Set aside.
Mix together the cream cheese, yogurt, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth in a large bowl. Fold in the heavy cream.
Chop the strawberries.
Place some cream cheese mixture at the bottom of 6 dessert cups or jars. Add some meringues, crushing them with your fingers on top of the cream. Add some chopped strawberries. Repeat these layers one more time, finishing with strawberries.
Place the cups in the fridge and let stand for a few hours before serving. The meringues will mostly disintegrate making the dessert creamy and sweet.
Full fat or low-fat, it is up to you. I used low-fat when I made these pictures, but I used full-fat some other times. Both versions are delicious. The nutrition information is calculated with low-fat cream cheese and low-fat creamy yogurt.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 221mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 8g
Nutritional information is not always accurate.