Mini clafoutis with plums – a classic Frech dessert in miniature, sweet plums baked in a pancake-like batter.
French Clafoutis Recipe
You will love these mini clafoutis with plums! Not only they look adorable, but they are incredibly tasty, have a wonderful texture, you will probably polish off the half of them in one go. On your own... You should probably bake the double batch...
What is clafoutis?
Clafoutis is a French sweet casserole containing fruit and a pancake-similar batter, not overly sweet but soft and delicious, something you can enjoy either as a light dessert after a meal or as a cake.
I have made quite a few clafoutis in my life, the classic one with cherries, but also with apples and peaches.
A classic clafoutis is made with cherries, for instance, Nigella's clafoutis and it is baked in a larger casserole dish.
- This time I used plums, ripe and sweet red and yellow plums. They looked so nice I bought them without really having a plan with them, I thought we would just eat them as they are.
- But after finding this recipe for mini clafoutis with plums in one of Yotam Ottolenghi's The Cookbook" (Amazon affiliate link), I decided to keep four of them and bake.
- They were absolutely great, as all of Ottolenghi's recipes I have ever tried.
- Unfortunately, there were only 6 small ones, they were gone in minutes. Next time I will definitely double the batch.
- Otherwise, you will need eggs, sugar, flour, vanilla, heavy cream, and some icing sugar. Typical ingredients for a pancake batter.
More French recipes?
French Apple Cake - A low-fat cake recipe that doesn't taste like it was so healthy. It is rich, sweet and delicious.
French Cookies Palmiers - These French cookies or palmiers are the easiest cookies you will ever make! Only three ingredients and less than half an hour until they're ready to eat.
Coq au Riesling - Tender chicken legs smothered in a creamy white wine sauce with mushrooms and grapes.
Green Beans Almondine - French-style green beans.
Confit de canard - Duck Confit Recipe - Traditional French confit de canard or duck confit, a simple yet amazing recipe, perfect for a special occasion.
Pin it for later!
Mini Clafoutis with Plums
- 4 ripe plums I used 2 red and 2 yellow
- 3 eggs
- 70 g/ 2.4 oz/ 1.3 cup granulated sugar
- 70 g/ 2.4 oz/ ½ cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 150 ml/ 5 fl.oz/ ⅔ cup heavy cream
- a pinch of fine sea salt
- ½ vanilla pod
- icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare forms: Brush 6 ceramic ramekins or small baking dishes (about 10 cm/4-inch diameter and 2 cm/ 0.7 inch deep) with oil and line with baking parchment discs cut to come a little above the edge of the forms.
- Half and cut each half of the plums into 3-4 wedges. Then, arrange half of them in the prepared forms.
- Separate the eggs. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, add half of the sugar and whisk again until soft peaks form. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the rest of the sugar until pale and creamy.
- Batter: Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour. Add the vanilla essence, cream, and pinch of salt. Split the vanilla pod, scrape out the seeds and add them to the mixture. Fold the stiff egg whites gently into this batter. Pour the batter over the plums, about three-quarters up the paper cases.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Take out, arrange the rest of the prepared plums on top and bake for another 5 minutes or so until a skewer inserted in the middle of a cake comes out dry.
- Let cool slightly, then remove from the forms.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet says
These are absolutely gorgeous and I'll bet they taste even better! Love that you used plums. Yummy!
Thank you, Kimberly. They were indeed great, the children loved them especially.