Delicate and delicious spring soup with asparagus, peas, noodles and tender chicken pieces. A light and healthy soup, easy to make and completely satisfying.
I have been making this soup for years now, changing it from time to time, according to what vegetables I happen to have in the fridge at the moment. I made it with white and green asparagus, with sugar snap peas instead of the regular one, with turkey instead of chicken or without any meat at all and I don’t think I have ever used the same kind of noodles twice. I normally use any kind of rest noodles I happen to have in an open package in the pantry.
The only thing I am particular about is the chicken stock or bouillon used, I think without a good base there’s no way you would ever get a tasty soup. I use a homemade chicken stock most of the times, but if you don’t have the time to prepare that first or you are generally not into making your own stocks and broths, use the best organic bottled stock or stock cube you can buy.
When buying stock cubes or powder my main concern is to buy products which are free of mono sodium glutamate and other chemicals, sugar and other weird stuff I don’t even know by name. I tried many, many products, some bought at the local supermarket, some in wholefood shop, some online. Eventually I found my favorites (but only vegetable stock), which I buy most of the times now. There is nothing else inside except of vegetables, salt and spices. I still haven’t found a chicken stock that I like and which is free of weird stuff, so I actually never use anything but homemade chicken stock and replace that with vegetable stock cubes when I don’t have any real stock in the freezer. I don’t use them often though and when I do, I normally add some homemade garlic-herb paste, parsley paste or even pesto to the dish to increase the taste.
But I don’t want to give you a sermon regarding stock cubes and stuff, you know better what you like best. 🙂
- 225 g/ ½ pound white or green asparagus
- 1,2 liter/ 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 350 g/ 12.3 oz chicken breast, skinless and boneless
- 1 garlic clove
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz soba noodles or other noodles of choice
- 1 handful peas
- 1 small leek
- a few sprigs parsley and dill
- salt and pepper
- Clean the asparagus and cut away the woody lower part of the stalk. If using white asparagus, peel the stalks using a vegetable peeler and starting peeling right under the head of the asparagus. Cut the asparagus into pieces, about 4 cm/ 1.6 inch long.
- Bring the chicken or vegetable stock to a boil. In the meantime chop the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Add them to the stock, together with the asparagus and the chopped garlic clove. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add the peas and the soba noodles and continue cooking for another 5 minutes or according to the packet's instructions. If you use other noodles, follow the cooking instructions and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- In the meantime shred the leek very finely and chop the herbs. Add them to the soup and adjust the taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Others you might like: