A delicious chicken asparagus pasta bake, light yet comforting, perfect for this time of the year.
Chicken Asparagus Casserole
Chicken asparagus pasta bake is a recipe I first cooked years ago when I was part of the Secret Recipe Club. The recipe came from Fantastical Sharing, a recipe I’ve changed only very slightly over the years and which I keep making every spring.
It is simple, it only requires a few ingredients, and the kids love it, despite the asparagus, which is not really the first choice when it comes to children and vegetables.
This asparagus chicken casserole is one of the few bakes I make without a creamy sauce, probably the only one, I cannot really remember another one right now.
It only needs some good olive oil, but trust me, that is enough, you will not miss any cream, white or cheesy sauce, the dish is perfect just as it is. The olive oil enhances the delicate asparagus flavor, while a too cheesy sauce will slightly overpower it.
What do you need?
- Asparagus: green asparagus.
- Chicken breast: boneless, skinless chicken breast.
- Pasta: use short pasta like penne, for instance, or the crinkly ones I used when I took the pictures.
- Olive oil: extra virgin, good quality olive oil.
- Parmesan: always use freshly grated Parmesan or Grana Padano, I feel it really makes a difference. The already grated stuff from a box is just not good.
- Spices: salt, pepper, garlic powder
How to make chicken and asparagus casserole?
- Preheat the oven.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- During this time, clean the asparagus and remove its lower part. Don’t discard these ends, freeze and use them later (together with other veggies) to make vegetable broth.
- Cut each spear into 3-4 pieces. Set aside.
- Once the water boils, add salt (generously) and cook the pasta according to the packet’s instructions.
- Add the asparagus pieces to the pasta pot during the last 4 minutes of the cooking time. Drain well.
- While the pasta cook, prepare the chicken.
- Cut into bite-size pieces in fry gently in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. It should take about 3-4 minutes, the chicken should be golden and cooked through. Add the garlic powder, to taste, I had about ½ teaspoon.
- Mix everything together in a casserole dish and add the remaining olive oil and half of the Parmesan.
- Stir well, adjust the taste with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
Can you make in advance?
- Yes, the chicken asparagus pasta bake can be made in advance.
- Prepare everything, place in the baking dish, and cover.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated through and golden on top.
- Check to see that it is hot in the middle as well, if not give it 5 more minutes and check again.
More pasta bakes?
Easy Pasta Bake Recipe – Colorful and delicious pasta bake with ham and vegetables, easy to make, bound to make your children happy!
Bolognese Pasta Bake – This bolognese pasta bake is a perfect weeknight, family dinner that will please everybody.
Chicken and Bacon Pasta Bake – With cheese and sour cream.
Pasta Vegetable Bake – Delicious tortellini baked in a vegetable sauce with lots of cheese, comfort food at its best.
Leftover Turkey Pasta Recipe – Leftover turkey casserole with noodles and white sauce.
Pin it for later!
Chicken Asparagus Pasta Bake
- 450 g/ 1 lb asparagus
- 450 g/ 1 lb chicken breast
- 360 g/ 12 oz pasta short pasta
- garlic powder to taste ½ to 1 teaspoon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 50 g/ 1.8 oz/ ½ cup Parmesan freshly grated
- fine sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. While you wait for the water to cook, clean the asparagus and remove its lower part. Cut each stalk in 3 pieces.
- Once the water boils, add salt generously and cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Add the asparagus to the pasta pot during the last 4 minutes of the cooking time. Drain everything well.
- While the pasta cooks, chop the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan and fry the chicken pieces until golden brown and cooked through, 3-4 minutes. Add some garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the pasta and asparagus into a casserole dish. Add the chicken, 3 tablespoons olive oil, and half of the Parmesan. Mix well, adjust the taste with salt and pepper, level and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until golden brown.