An open faced sandwich with asparagus and eggs, this is the perfect spring toast, a simple and quick way of enjoying fresh asparagus and soft boiled eggs.
OPEN FACED SANDWICH WITH ASPARAGUS AND EGGS
Healthy, light, seasonal and soooooo delicious, one of the quickest and most satisfying ways of enjoying asparagus.
I didn’t plan to post this asparagus and egg recipe, I only made it because I had a few stalks asparagus leftover from making the bacon wrapped asparagus. I didn’t know what to do with the 5 or 6 remaining stalks, but I promptly remembered the recipe for this asparagus and eggs toast found in a magazine a few days ago.
I started cooking the asparagus and the kitchen was suddenly smelling so heavenly, that I decided to take pictures even before I had actually tasted the toast. I thought, worst case, I just delete the photos, but I would be angry if the meal turns out great and I didn’t take any photos. I am glad about the photos because the toasts were so good, I definitely have to share them.
HOW TO MAKE ASPARAGUS AND EGG TOAST?
I changed the recipe a little bit by using rye wholemeal bread and homemade lemon mayonnaise.
You can use white bread and plain mayonnaise, of course, but I love the bite given by toasted wholemeal bread and the lemon mayonnaise is really worth making, it is a dream and suitable not only for this dish but for many, many others.
I made soft-boiled eggs, because my daughter just loves them so, but a poached egg would be just as good. Whatever you like best.
I am mentioning my daughter, but don’t think that she or her brother ate this toast 🙁 The moment they saw the asparagus they asked what else there is to eat. So they only had toast with egg and salad.
I hope that if they keep seeing my husband and me enjoying asparagus and some other choice vegetable, they will learn to like them when they grow older.
Otherwise this is an easy recipe, made in less than 15 minutes, a perfect lunch or light dinner.
Making asparagus and eggs open sandwich step by step:
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil.
- Add some salt and the eggs and boil for 6 minutes to obtain soft boiled eggs.
- In the meantime, remove the lower part of the asparagus and halve the stalks.
- Halve the obtained pieces lengthwise as well.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the asparagus for about 3 or 4 minutes, shaking the pan a few times in between.
- Add some salt and pepper.
- Chop the tomatoes and the capers.
- Toast the bread.
- Wash and dry the rocket. Chop it roughly.
- Spread one tablespoon mayonnaise on each toast.
- Top with rocket, asparagus, tomatoes and capers.
- Halve the soft boiled eggs, place them on top, grate some Parmesan over the toast and serve immediately.
MORE OPEN FACED SANDWICHES
Open faced sandwiches are really common in our house, I make some sort or another of an open sandwich almost daily. We have them either for breakfast, toasts including eggs like this asparagus and eggs toast or bread slices topped with egg salad.
Or we have a delicious smoked salmon sandwich or Danish smorrebrod for lunch. And for a quick and super delicious and healthy dinner, how about this wonderful toast or open sandwich with roasted tomatoes and poached eggs or mushroom garlic sourdough toast with poached egg? Family favorites, all of them!
- 2 eggs
- 5-6 stalks green asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1 small handful rocket
- 2 slices rye wholemeal bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or lemon mayonnaise
- some freshly grated Parmesan
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add some salt and the eggs and boil for 6 minutes to obtain soft-boiled eggs.
- In the meantime, remove the lower part of the asparagus and halve the stalks. Halve the obtained pieces lengthwise as well.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the asparagus for about 3 or 4 minutes, shaking the pan a few times in between. Add some salt and pepper.
- Chop the tomatoes and the capers. Toast the bread. Wash and dry the rocket leaves.
- Spread one tablespoon mayonnaise on each toast. Top with rocket, asparagus, tomatoes and capers.
- Halve the soft-boiled eggs, place them on top, grate some Parmesan over the toast and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 toast
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 404 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 205mg Sodium: 981mg Carbohydrates: 23g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 16g