Comforting turmeric pasta with coconut milk and yellow lentil sauce, a super healthy and delicious vegan pasta dish.
Turmeric pasta with yellow split lentils, yellow peppers, zucchini and mango, a bright vegan noodle dish for any day of the week.
This is another great way of using your Turmeric Paste for Golden Milk, in case you happen to have some. If not, don’t worry, this pasta dish will taste just as delicious with plain ground turmeric and a few more spices.
What do you need?
- Pasta and a few more ingredients that I usually have in my pantry and fridge and you are set with a healthy and delicious vegan meal in no time.
- OK, you might have to buy the mango especially for this dish, I don’t usually have mangoes laying around, but otherwise… nothing can be easier! And in case you don’t feel like going out to buy a mango, how about peach or nectarine in summer or maybe even an apple in winter?
- Yellow split lentils, which will almost disintegrate in the sauce making it creamy and comforting.
- Yellow bell pepper and yellow zucchini. Of course, they should only be yellow if you want to match the rest of the turmeric pasta dish. Otherwise, feel free to use red/green peppers and green zucchini.
- Coconut oil and coconut milk from a can. The coconut milk can be replaced with olive oil.
- Spices: turmeric, fresh ginger, garlic, nutmeg, and some mango chutney.
How to make?
- Start with the pasta and lentils. Check the lentil’s package instructions, split lentils usually have a short cooking time. If it fits, you could cook the pasta and the lentils in one pot.
- Melt the coconut oil and cook the garlic, ginger, zucchini, and peppers.
- Stir in the turmeric and nutmeg (or turmeric paste) for 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk and water and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add mango cubes, mango chutney, pasta, and lentils to the sauce.
- Adjust the taste with salt and pepper and some lime juice.
How to serve?
- Serve the turmeric pasta immediately.
- Or let get cool and serve as a noodle salad.
- Leftovers keep well in the fridge for about 2-3 days.
More vegan pasta dishes:
For more on turmeric, turmeric paste, and its health benefits and uses, have a look at this article: Health Benefits and Uses of Turmeric Paste.
- 450 g/ 1 lb short pasta of choice
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz/ ½ cup yellow split lentils
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- ½ yellow or green zucchini
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- a few gratings of nutmeg teaspoon nutmeg (Note)
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- some lime juice to taste
- fine sea salt and plently freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the noodles according to the packet's instructions. Cook the lentils as well. Check the cooking time on the lentils packet, in some cases, they need about the same time as the noodles. If that is the case, you could cook the noodles and the lentils together, in one pot. Drain well.
- Grate the ginger and the garlic. Chop the bell pepper and the zucchini into small cubes.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan and cook the ginger, garlic, pepper, and zucchini. Add the turmeric and nutmeg (or turmeric paste) and stir well for 1 minute. Add coconut milk and ¼ cup water and bring to a boil. Let cook for 2 minutes.
- Peel and chop the mango and set aside.
- Stir mango chutney, mango cubes, cooked noodles, and lentils into the sauce. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper and some lime juice.
- Serve immediately or let get cold and serve the dish as a noodle salad.
Instead of ground turmeric and nutmeg, you can use 2-3 teaspoons of turmeric paste for golden milk.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 of the dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 759Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 292mgCarbohydrates: 113gFiber: 8gSugar: 20gProtein: 21g
Nutritional information is not always accurate.