Soft eggless carrot cake with coconut, topped with jam, and more coconut. A delicious vegan carrot time suitable for the fasting time.
This eggless or vegan carrot cake with dessicated coconut and jam is soft, moist, sweet and incredibly easy to make. Stir a few ingredients, bake and top with jam and more coconut. You will love it!
One of my favorite cakes is the Carrot Coconut Cake with Lemon Frosting. I have been making it for years and it is always amazing. I really enjoy using carrots in baking, I like the flavor impart give to the cake, the wonderful color but most of all that juicy, moist consistency, which is sometimes so tricky to achieve when making a simple cake without a filling.
What do you need?
For the batter:
- Carrots, coconut (either fresh or desiccated and unsweetened), flour, oil, sugar, flour, baking powder, and Fanta.
- Fanta might seem like an unusual choice, but it works really well here.
- You can also use another brand of similar sparkling orange drink.
- You could use sparkling water, but I don’t like using water in cakes, I can always tell when a cake was baked with water, it leaves a rather peculiar aftertaste and feel in the mouth.
For the topping:
- Jam and more unsweetened dessicated coconut.
- It is preferable to use an orange or yellow colored jam, it fits the rest of the cake. Try peaches or apricots, for instance.
- Use a kitchen scale for measuring the ingredients, especially for measuring the flour and grated carrots.
- Use a piece of fresh coconut for the batter, if available, it adds more flavor and moisture.
- Make sure the oven is preheated by the time you have stirred the batter. If the batter waits for the oven to get hot, the baking powder will lose its power and the cake will not rise properly.
- Don’t leave the pan with the roasting coconut flakes unattended, they take seconds to get from golden to burnt. Transfer immediately onto a large plate, as they will continue to roast is left in the hot pan.
How to store?
The eggless carrot cake keeps well for several days. It will be fine for 2-3 days if you leave it well wrapped (or in a container) on the counter. If kept refrigerated it will be OK for 4-5 days.
You can also freeze in suitable containers for up to 3 months.
More vegan/eggless cakes:
Eggless Carrot Cake (Vegan)
- 175 g/ 6.2 oz carrots
- 75 g/ 2.6 oz desiccated unsweetened coconut or fresh coconut
- 150 g/ 5.3 oz/ ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 100 ml/ 3.3 fl.oz/ scant ½ cup vegetable oil
- 300 ml/ 10 f.oz/ 1 ¼ cups Fanta or similar sparkling drink
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 350 g/ 12.3 oz/ 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4-5 tablespoons jam of choice Note
- 35 g/ 6 tablespoons desiccated unsweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tin of about 30×20 cm/ 12×8 inches with baking paper.
- Grate the carrots on the fine grater. If using fresh coconut grate it as well.
- Place in a bowl and add the coconut. Add sugar, oil, Fanta, and cinnamon and mix well.
- In another bowl mix the flour and the baking powder. Sift 1/3 of it on the batter and incorporate gently. Add the next two batches of sifted flour and incorporate gently as well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- In the meantime roast the shredded desiccated unsweetened coconut in a dry pan. Stay close and shake the pan very frequently, it will only take a few minutes. Roast the coconut until golden and fragrant. Immediately transfer to a plate and let cool.
- When the cake is completely cool, spread the jam on top. Sprinkle evenly with the roasted coconut and cut into squares.
Wednesday 5th of June 2019
This cake looks so delicious and festive! I love it that it’s vegan!
Friday 31st of March 2017
oh my goodness. This looks heavenly. So moist and I always have a thing for coconut!!
Thursday 30th of March 2017
I looove how moist this cake is Adina! And fresh coconut, what a cool idea, I can't wait to pick one up and give this tasty cake a try. BTW the new site design is gorgeous, from the recipe card to how your mouthwatering photos are featured it's all so pretty and bright.
Monday 27th of March 2017
i've never worked with fresh coconut, though i'd like to! this looks perfectly fluffy and moist and must be so delicious!
Monday 27th of March 2017
Se ve muy rico su cake Adina,tiene un hermoso color saludable,tengo en casa un vegano y un vegetariano,sus receta me maravillan,abrazos.