Last Updated on 24/03/2020 by Adina
Italian chicken with lemon and lots of herbs, tender and aromatic, easy to make skillet chicken.
ITALIAN CHICKEN WITH LEMON
A short and simple recipe for you today: Italian chicken tenders in a lemon and herb sauce.
Just a few ingredients, a little time spent cooking but great results nonetheless. The Italian lemon chicken is tender, the sauce tangy and refreshing.
And everything will be ready in about half an hour. You might need a bit more time if you serve this with baked potatoes wedges and vegetables as I did, but you can choose to serve it with some Italian bread and a green salad, then you will definitely not need more than 30 minutes to make this recipe.
INGREDIENTS FOR ITALIAN LEMON CHICKEN
As mentioned above you will not need much to make this flavorful chicken breast recipe.
- You can use boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken tenders.
- I tend to use chicken breast because they are always available, while chicken tenders are more of a luck thing, sometimes I get them, but most of the times I don’t.
- If using chicken tenders, leave them as they are, they are always rather small.
- If using chicken breasts, cut them in 2 or 3 pieces, depending on their size. They should be more or less as large as chicken tenders.
- You will need fresh herbs to make the Italian lemon chicken.
- I used 2 very large (or several smaller) sage leaves and a large sprig of rosemary.
- One large lemon or 2 smaller ones.
TIPS FOR MAKING ITALIAN CHICKEN WITH LEMON
- Definitely use fresh herbs to make the Italian lemon chicken, dried herbs will not have the same impact on this dish.
- Use a cast-iron skillet or a large non-stick pan to cook the chicken.
- Fry the chicken on high heat until golden, about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Turn the heat down after adding the lemon juice and water, cover the pan and cook the lemon chicken gently.
- Don’t overcook the chicken breast, start checking before the indicated cooking time is up just to make sure that you don’t overcook it. Pierce the chicken with a toothpick, the juices should run clear.
- Don’t forget to remove the lid during the last 5 minutes of the cooking time to allow the sauce to reduce nicely.
- If the chicken is cooked through before the sauce had a chance to reduce, remove the chicken from the skillet and continue reducing the sauce.
- Serve immediately.
MORE CHICKEN BREAST RECIPES?
BASIC SKILLET CHICKEN BREAST – An easy recipe for roasting juicy, tender and healthy chicken breasts: one skillet or pan, one lemon, and the chicken.
BAKED BBQ CHICKEN BREAST – Moist and delicious baked bbq chicken breast, baking barbecue chicken in the oven has never been easier.
EASY PROSCIUTTO WRAPPED CHICKEN BREAST – A super easy light dinner of prosciutto-wrapped chicken breast using only a few ingredients. With tomato and red onion salad.
BAKED PANKO CHICKEN BREAST – Healthy and delicious crispy baked chicken breast with a panko Parmesan crust.
CHICKEN BREAST FRITTERS – A Russian recipe for chicken fritters or chicken patties, whipped up in no time and bound to make your children (or anyone else) happy.
PIN IT FOR LATER!
- 600 g/ 1.3 lbs chicken breast or chicken tenders
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 large sage leaves
- 1 large lemon
- pinch of sugar
- fine sea salt and white pepper
- Cut the chicken breasts in half. If using chicken tenders leave them as they are.
- Heat the butter in a large non-stick pan or cast-iron skillet and fry the chicken until golden all around, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- In the meantime chop the onion very finely. Add it to the chicken and fry shortly while you chop the herbs. Add the herbs to the pan and stir shortly.
- Juice the lemon and mix the juice with 4 tablespoons water. Pour the mixture into the pan, cover the pan and cook for about 15 minutes on low heat. Remove the lid for the last 5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken a little.
- Check if the chicken is cooked after about 10-12 minutes already, do not overcook it. It should be completely cooked through but still very tender.
- Adjust the taste with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar, if necessary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 of the dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 135mgSodium: 267mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 47g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.