Moist BBQ sauce chicken breast, baked in the oven. Our delicious and easy recipe uses simple ingredients, and it’s ready in about 30 minutes. Perfect for weeknight dinners or quick weekend meals.
Baking BBQ sauce chicken breast is a favorite with our whole family because it's uncomplicated and tasty. The oven keeps the chicken juicy, and the barbecue sauce adds flavor without making it too complicated. As it cooks, the sauce gets a bit sticky, making the chicken even more delicious. It's a simple meal that always hits the spot.
Jump to recipe
🐔Why should you bake BBQ chicken?
- Easy and quick: Baking BBQ sauce chicken breast in the oven requires minimal effort and expertise, and it cooks relatively quickly, allowing you to have dinner ready in no time.
- A great alternative to grilling outside. Not everyone has easy access to a grill, especially outside of the summer season. Try the Air Fryer BBQ Chicken, too.
- Healthy: Chicken breast is a lean protein option, making it a healthy choice for meals.
- Versatile: Pair the BBQ sauce chicken breast with simple side dishes like Buttered Rice, salad with Yogurt Dressing, Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries, or Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Wedges.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts: I had rather large portions, weighing about 8-9 oz/ 220-250 g. If those you have are smaller or larger, reduce or increase the cooking time accordingly.
- Favorite barbecue sauce: Adds flavor and sweetness, enhancing the taste. Use homemade BBQ sauce or any brand you love. I prefer a tangy BBQ sauce that is not overly smokey, but that is just my personal preference. Use the sauce to make Slow Cooker Chicken Legs (a recipe using just two ingredients) or Instant Pot Country-Style Ribs.
- Dijon mustard: Provides tanginess and depth of flavor to the marinade.
- Apple cider vinegar: Helps tenderize the breasts and adds acidity to balance the sweetness of the sauce.
- Honey: Adds sweetness and helps slightly caramelize the meat while baking, making it utterly irresistible. Try our Honey Baked Chicken Thighs, too.
- Spices like salt, black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper. And a little olive oil.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
👩🏻🍳How to bake BBQ sauce chicken breasts?
Step #1: Mix all the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
Step #2: Pound breasts between two sheets of clingfilm with a meat mallet at the thickest part so that they can cook evenly (roughly 0.5 inches/ 1.5 cm thick).
Step #3: Marinate for 2-3 hours or overnight. Turn a few times in between. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
Step #4: Bake the oven bbq chicken for 16-18 minutes or until it reaches the internal temperature of 150°F/ 65°C.
Step #5: Tilt the baking tray over the sink to drain away excess juices. Brush with marinade and broil for 5 minutes or until the breasts reach 165°F/ 74°C internally.
Step #6: Allow the baked BBQ chicken to rest for 3-4 minutes before slicing.
⏲️How long should I bake barbecue sauce chicken?
While not mandatory, using an instant-read meat thermometer (the Amazon affiliate link opens in a new tab) ensures perfectly cooked, moist, and juicy BBQ chicken breast. If you don't have one, follow the suggested cooking times and check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the thickest part of the chicken; the juices should run clear.
For smaller pieces weighing around 6.5 oz/ 180 g, reduce cooking time to about 12-15 minutes.
For larger pieces weighing around 10.5 oz/ 300 g, increase cooking time to about 20-23 minutes. Always ensure the meat reaches a safe internal temperature of 165°F/ 74°C before serving.
It's recommended to marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to penetrate the meat, but you can marinate it for longer, 2-4 hours, or overnight.
Bake at high temperature and broil for a crispy finish: Broiling the juicy chicken for the last few minutes adds a crispy, caramelized crust to the BBQ sauce, enhancing both flavor and texture.
Make extra baked BBQ chicken so you have more for sandwiches, salads, or meals later in the week. It's a great protein choice you can use in many ways.
Yes. However, cooking times may vary, so use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken reaches the safe internal temperature. You can also make this recipe with chicken tenderloins, but they will cook faster. Try our Grilled Chicken Tenders recipe. Or you can use any other cut of chicken you like; the only thing you have to remember is to adjust the cooking time and check doneness.
Absolutely! This marinade works well with pork chops, beef steak, or even tofu for a vegetarian option.
Yes, you can grill them over medium-high heat for about 6-8 minutes per side or until cooked through, then brush with BBQ sauce during the last few minutes of grilling.
Refrigerate leftover roast chicken for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
Freeze for longer storage; the meat should be fine for at least 3 months. Defrost in the fridge and reheat before serving.
To reheat baked BBQ sauce chicken breast, place it in a preheated oven at 350°F/ 175°C for 10-15 minutes, covered with foil to prevent drying. Alternatively, place it on a microwave-safe plate, cover it with a damp paper towel, and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
🍽️What to serve with it?
Baked barbecue sauce chicken is the kind of dish that can be served with almost any side dish you can think of.
Another way of serving it is to slice it and add it to a salad. Use leftover chicken breast to make some nice sandwiches.
BBQ Sauce Chicken Breast
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Large dish for marinating the chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts Note 1
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper more to taste
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce 2.5 oz/ 75 g, Note 2
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons runny honey
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt more to taste
Marinate the chicken:
- Mix smoked paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, BBQ sauce, mustard, olive oil, cider vinegar, honey, and salt. Stir well, taste, and adjust the taste with more vinegar, honey, and salt, if necessary.½ teaspoon smoked paprika + ½ teaspoon garlic powder +⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper + ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper + ¼ cup BBQ sauce + 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard + 1 tablespoon olive oil + ½ tablespoon cider vinegar + 1 ½ tablespoons runny honey + ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pound chicken: Place the breasts between two sheets of clingfilm and pound at the thickest part; they should be about 0.5 inches/ 1.5 cm thick. Place the parts in a single layer in a baking dish (ceramic or glass) and pour over the marinade. Turn the pieces in the marinade to coat all over.4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Marinate chicken: Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours or overnight. Remove from the fridge about 30 minutes before cooking.
Bake BBQ sauce chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 430°F/ 220°C and line the baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the chicken on it. Reserve the marinade.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until the meat reaches the internal temperature of 150°F/ 65°C - not done yet (Note 3). Remove the chicken from the oven and carefully tilt the baking tray over the sink to pour away the accumulated cooking juices.
- Broil BBQ chicken: Brush the chicken generously with the leftover marinade and broil for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F/ 74°C. Rest for 3-4 minutes before serving.
- Chicken breast size: Each one should weigh about 8-9 oz/ 220-250 g. If they are smaller or larger, adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- BBQ sauce: Use your favorite brand or, if you like, homemade barbecue sauce.
- Baking time: For smaller pieces (around 6.5 oz/ 180 g), reduce cooking time to about 12-15 minutes. For larger pieces (around 10.5 oz/ 300 g), increase the cooking time to about 20-23 minutes. Always ensure the chicken reaches a safe internal temperature of 165°F/ 74°C before serving.