A cheesy pizza soup with tomatoes, ground beef, corn, mushrooms, and peppers! This is a good way of feeding lots of veggies to your kids without hearing any complaints.
I made this cheesy pizza soup only yesterday, but we all liked it so much that I just know I will keep making this again and again.
It was an unplanned meal, I had actually intended to make a pumpkin chili with ground meat and that is why I had took a package of ground meat out of the freezer in the morning. But when the time came for me to cook, I realized I was missing one vital ingredient for the pumpkin chili and that was the pumpkin….
So I had to improvise because the ground meat was already unfrozen and I didn’t want to leave it lying around until tomorrow. And like most of the time when I don’t know what to cook: I make soup!
What do you need?
- The base of the soup, apart from the beef broth is tomato puree and lots of Italian dried herbs like oregano, marjoram, and thyme and that makes it so pizza-like, I would say.
- Add the ground beef, some fresh or canned sliced mushrooms, some bell peppers and canned corn, top with a little grated cheese just before serving and you’ll have some kind of carb-free pizza delight, which will leave you satisfied but with a lighter conscience than after eating a real pizza.
What can I say? Both my kids are huge pizza fans and they absolutely loved this soup!
More loaded soups?
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 500 g/ 1 lbs ground beef (Note 1)
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 red chili pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2 bell peppers (red and yellow for instance)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1,2 liter/ 5 cups beef broth (Note 2)
- 500 g/ 1 lbs tomato puree (not paste or sauce)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can sliced mushrooms, drained
- fine sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz/ 1 cup grated cheese (Note 3)
- Heat the oil in a large thick-bottomed pot. Add the beef and fry until brown, stirring from time to time and breaking all the lumps.
- While the meat cooks, peel and halve the onions and cut the halves into fine slices. Chop the garlic and the chili very finely. Add them to the browned meat, stir well and let cook until you chop the peppers. Add them to the pot as well and keep cooking for a few more minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour and the paprika on top, stir well and cook for further 2 minutes while stirring. Add the paprika paste, stir well, then add the broth (preferably hot), tomato puree, red wine vinegar, dried herbs, sugar. Stir well and add some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and let cook slowly for about 20 minutes.
- Add the drained corn and mushrooms and continue cooking for another 20 minutes. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper and, if necessary, with a little bit more red wine vinegar or sugar. It should taste sweet-sour. Stir in about half of the grated cheese.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and serve.
- Or a mixture of pork and beef. Ground turkey is great as well.
- Beef bone broth or chicken stock is fine as well.
- Gouda, Cheddar or any other cheese you like for topping pizza.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/6 of the soup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 579Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 9273mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 55g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.