Hoummus or hummus with chickpeas, tahini and pretty much garlic, an easy recipe for one of the most popular dips in the world.
I have quite a passion for hoummus. Homemade hummus to be precise. I discovered hummus quite some years ago, while living in London, where you could buy it just about anywhere.
I had never heard of it before, never seen it in Germany, and never really knew what it was. I bought it because I am always interested in trying new things and because some of my work colleagues used to have it in their lunch box.
Nowadays, I can buy hummus here as well, actually, that started only a few years ago, after so many refugees settled in our area, now many supermarkets started putting hoummus on their shelves.
But I still take the time to make my own hummus most of the times, it is easy to make, tastes better and can be enriched in so many wonderful ways. Have a look at this Low-Calorie Hummus, you will love it!
Tips for making hoummus
- I prefer to cook my own chickpeas for making hoummus. I know that that is a lengthy process, you have to think about soaking the chickpeas the night before and despite the fact that most chickpea packets state that the chickpeas need about one hour of cooking time, they always need more.
- And I do like using some of the chickpeas’ cooking water for the dip, I am sure it enhances its flavor and creaminess.
- However, if you cannot be bothered with cooking chickpeas at all, do use canned chickpeas and some of their cooking water. I do often enough as well, and I still love the spread.
- Whenever I cook chickpeas I soak and boil an entire packet even if I only need ¼ of it. I freeze the remaining cooked chickpeas and used them either for making the spread again or for cooking other dishes like this Beetroot with Crisp Chickpeas or this Easy Zucchini Curry. Or you could make this Apple and Chickpea Curry or this Broccoli Chickpea Soup.
- I use my Thermomix for making the dip, it is a powerful kitchen machine, which I totally love.
- It is important to have a good kitchen machine, it will make the hoummus creamier.
- And don’t forget to scrape the walls of the machine several times in between to make sure you will obtain a nice consistency.
- Add chickpeas’ cooking or can water to get the desired consistency, I start with about 100 ml/ ½ cup and add more accordingly.
For more information on turmeric and its health benefits, have a look at this article: Health Benefits and Uses For Turmeric Paste.
More dips and spreads:
- 450 g/ 16 oz cooked chickpeas or 2 cans chickpeas (Note 1)
- about 150 ml/ 2/3 cup chickpeas cooking water (or more depending on the preferred consistency)
- 3-4 garlic cloves, to taste
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 4 tablespoons olive oil + a bit more to finish
- 5-6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (Note 2)
- 1 ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
- black pepper
- some nigella seeds
- Place the chickpeas, about ½ cup of their cooking or can water, garlic cloves, tahini, olive oil, half of the lemon juice, turmeric, salt, and some pepper into the food processor.
- Process well until creamy, scraping the walls of the machine a few times in between. Add more cooking or can water until you reach the desired consistency.
- Adjust the taste with more lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer to a bowl, sprinkle with some nigella seeds, and finish with a drizzle of good olive oil.
- Serve on bread, crackers, or as a dip for raw vegetables.
- To cook dry chickpeas, soak them in plenty of water for 12-24 hours. Drain, cover with plenty of water again, add 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, bring to a boil, and cook, covered, until the chickpeas are really really soft, it will take more than one hour, depending on the size and age of the chickpeas. Drain and save some of the cooking water for the hoummus.
- Or 2 ½ teaspoons turmeric paste for golden milk.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1 heaped tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 269mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information is not always accurate.