Last Updated on 23/03/2020 by Adina
Crusty flaxseed bread with yogurt, easily made and baked in a Dutch oven. This simple bread goes perfectly with any toppings you can think of.
YOGURT FLAXSEED BREAD
This yogurt flaxseed bread is a bread I bake very often. It is easy to make, it is baked in a Dutch oven and thanks to that, it is crusty and has a fluffy, delicious interior.
If you ever thought that baking your own bread was difficult, you will change your mind after baking this flaxseed yogurt bread.
Or try my number one bread, the spelt bread (or wheat bread), which you don’t have to knead or let rise.
It is getting colder around here lately, not cold enough to actually call it winter, but still cold enough for me, cold enough to make me want to bake and use my oven more regularly.
I like baking bread, but bread baking goes in cycles for me. I have months where I barely buy any bread, I bake almost every other day and enjoy trying new recipes or tweaking old ones to make them perfect for us and then there are months where I only bake on a Sunday afternoon when I notice that there is no bread left for the school/work sandwiches on Monday.
And it is obvious that those baking months are usually the colder months of the year.
I baked this flaxseed bread with yogurt many times and we all love it. It is basically a white bread with a small amount of whole wheat flour, suitable for any kind of topping from jam to cheese or hummus.
The bread is soft inside and has a very nice crust, I am sure anybody would love it, the texture and the taste are wonderful.
INGREDIENTS FOR FLAXSEED BREAD
- A mixture of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. Occasionally, I swap the whole wheat flour for rye flour, it works very well.
- I use very roughly ground flaxseeds. They should not be whole, but not a powder either.
- I used instant dried yeast, which can be mixed with the dry ingredients without proofing it first.
- If using active dry yeast, proof it first. Place it in a small bowl, add the honey and the lukewarm water and stir well. Let stand for about 5 minutes (or according to package instructions) until bubbly. Add to the dry ingredients and proceed with the recipe.
- If using fresh yeast, you will need 20 g/ 0.7 oz fresh yeast. Crumble it into a small bowl, add the honey and water and stir to dissolve. Add it to the dry ingredients and proceed with the recipe.
- Creamy, Greek style, low-fat yogurt, with about 1,8 % fat.
- Full-fat yogurt would be fine as well.
TIPS FOR MAKING YOGURT FLAXEED BREAD
- If using active dry yeast don’t forget to proof it as explained above. Fresh yeast will also need to be dissolved into lukewarm water.
- Allow the dough to rise properly. It is preferable to use a glass or metal bowl for the purpose it retains warmth better than a plastic bowl and helps the dough rise better.
- If the kitchen is not warm enough, place the bowl (covered with a kitchen towel) in the cold oven. Turn on the oven light (just the light, not the oven) and let rise inside the oven.
- The Dutch oven needs to be really hot before adding the dough to it. Place it in the oven while you preheat the oven and let it inside until both the oven and the pot are hot.
- Be careful when handling the Dutch oven, it will be really hot. Wear oven mitts.
- The dough will have its second rise while you preheat the oven.
- Knead the dough shortly, shape it into a ball again and place it on a piece of parchment paper.
- When the Dutch oven and the oven are hot, grab the parchment paper with the dough and drop it directly into the pot.
- Bake for 25 minutes with the lid on. Remove the lid and bake for further 10-15 minutes or until the bread is golden brown.
- To make sure that the bread is properly baked, remove it from the pot and tap it with your knuckles, it should sound hollow.
WHAT TO PUT ON THE FLAXSEED BREAD?
PIN IT FOR LATER!
- 300 g/10.6 oz/ 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz/ 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed
- 20 g/ 0.7 oz fresh yeast or 1 package dried yeast (7 g/ 0.25 oz)
- 1 teaspoon clear honey
- 175 ml/ 6 fl.oz/ 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 150 g/ 5.3 oz/ 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt (1,8% fat)
- To bake the bread I used a Dutch oven with lid. The dish has a diameter of 23 cm/ 9 inch.
- Place the flour, salt and flaxseed in the stand mixer and mix for a few seconds. If using instant yeast, mix it with the flour as well.
- If using active dry yeast, dissolve the yeast and the honey in the lukewarm water and let stand for 5 minutes or according to package instructions.
- Add to the mixer together with the yogurt and knead with the dough hook for about 3 minutes (or according to the kneading instructions of your stand mixer) or until the dough is elastic and not very sticky anymore.
- Transfer the dough to the lightly floured working surface and knead very shortly, just enough to give it rough round shape. Place the dough into a bowl, dust with a little flour, cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise until about doubled in size, it will take about 1 hour, depending on the temperature in your kitchen.
- Turn the bread onto the working surface and knead again shortly. Place a piece of parchment paper on the working surface and place the rounded dough on it. Cover with the towel again and leave it to rise again on the counter while you preheat the oven.
- Place the Dutch oven and the lid in the oven. Turn on the oven and preheat it and the form to 230 degrees Celsius/ 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To place the dough into the pot, carefully grab the sides of the parchment paper and drop the dough together with the paper into the hot Dutch oven. Wear mitts, the dish is extremely hot! Cover it with the lid an place it in the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes with the lid on. Remove the lid and continue baking for about 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- To make sure that the bread is properly baked, remove it from the pot and tap it with your knuckles, it should sound hollow. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 361mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.