Last Updated on 18/03/2020 by Adina
Homemade cream of mushroom soup without cream or lots of butter, just some cream cheese to make it really smooth and comforting.
SIMPLE MUSHROOM SOUP RECIPE
A simple homemade cream of mushroom soup to comfort you during these cold early autumn days.
So no better time for soup than now, I would say. I have actually only made this soup yesterday and I still have a bit of it left in the fridge, I am already happily anticipating eating it for lunch.
A slice of homemade wholemeal bread smeared with a bit of fresh butter and I need nothing else!
This is a very simple mushroom soup recipe, ready in about half an hour, so if you are in the mood for a really nice cream of mushroom soup, there is no need to buy the already made one, it is really not worth it!
This homemade mushroom soup without cream is so much healthier and tastier and the time involved to make it from scratch is really short. A bit of chopping, stirring and blending the soup and you’re done.
INGREDIENTS FOR HOMEMADE CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
- You can use regular white button mushrooms, cremini or even Portobello mushrooms. All three sorts of mushrooms are actually the same species.
- The main difference between white button and cremini mushrooms is the color and I think (but that is just my personal opinion) that cremini mushrooms have a slightly stronger flavor than the white mushrooms.
- Portobello mushrooms are also plain cremini, which were allowed to grow a bit longer.
- You will need typical “soup vegetables” like carrots, parsnip or celeriac, onions and garlic. I like the parsnip in this homemade cream of mushroom soup, it is slightly sweeter than celeriac, but if you cannot find it (I can only buy it during the winter months in Germany), celeriac is a good substitute.
- If using celeriac, a piece of about 120 g – 150 g/ 4.2-5.3 oz should be enough. Alternatively, use 3-4 smallish celery sticks.
- I use homemade chicken stock most of the times because I always have in the fridge or freezer. However, you will be fine with using your favorite brand of stock.
- To keep this simple mushroom soup recipe vegetarian, use vegetable stock. I happened to make this particular mushroom soup with good vegetable stock cubes as well and it was delicious.
- A cream of mushroom soup without cream! That’s nice, isn’t it? Nothing against cream when it comes to taste, love it, but otherwise I don’t like the fact that it adds so many calories to the soup.
- So, I replace the heavy cream with milk and, for extra creaminess, some cream cheese. You can use full-fat cream cheese (it always tastes best), but you can get away with using lower fat cream cheese as well.
- However, I would not recommend completely fat free cream cheese, that’s just not good. I often use cream cheese with about 16% fat.
HOW TO MAKE MUSHROOM SOUP?
- Chop the vegetables: carrots, parsnip/celeriac into small cubes. Chop the onions and the garlic finely.
- Pour the vegetable broth or chicken stock into a soup pot. Add the vegetables, bring to a boil and cook until they are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with some kitchen paper and slice them.
- Heat ½ of the butter in a large pan, add the sliced mushrooms and the thyme sprigs and fry until the mushrooms are golden, about 5 minutes. Remove about 1/3 of the mushrooms and set them aside.
- Push the remaining mushrooms to one side of the pan. Discard the thyme sprigs.
- Add the remaining butter to the empty side of the pan, let it melt and sprinkle the flour on top, let it get very slightly golden.
- Slowly start adding about 1 cup from the soup while whisking all the time to avoid getting clumps. When the mixture is smooth, stir to coat the mushrooms with it. If it is too thick, you can add a bit more of the soup.
- Continue cooking for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the soup.
- Add milk and cream cheese and blitz the soup very thoroughly using an immersion blender.
- Heat through again, but don’t let it boil anymore.
- Add the mushrooms that you set aside previously and adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
- Add parsley.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP?
To make this simple mushroom soup recipe a complete meal, serve it with some sourdough bread slices with butter. Or even better: herb garlic butter, amazing!
If you want to make the soup fancier and maybe serve it to guests, you could make some croutons or crostini.
MORE AUTUMN SOUPS?
PIN IT FOR LATER!
- 3 medium carrots, about 200 g/ 7 oz
- 1 parsnip or one small slice of celeriac, about 120 g – 150 g/ 4.2-5.3 oz
- 2 medium onions, about 150 g/ 5.3 oz
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ liter/ 3.2 pints/ 6 1/3 cups good quality vegetable broth (or chicken stock)
- 500 g/ 1.1 lbs mushrooms
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 sprigs of thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 350 ml/ 12 fl.oz/ 1 ½ cups milk
- 3 heaped tablespoons cream cheese
- 2-3 tablespoon chopped parsley
- fine sea salt and pepper
- Chop the carrots, parsnip or celeriac into small cubes. Chop the onions and the garlic finely.
- Pour the vegetable broth or chicken stock into a soup pot. Add the prepared vegetables, bring to a boil and cook until they are soft, about 15 minutes.
In the meantime, wipe the mushrooms clean with some kitchen paper and slice them.
- Heat half of the butter in a large pan, add the sliced mushrooms and the thyme and cook until the mushrooms are golden, stirring several times in between, about 5 minutes. Remove 1/3 of the mushrooms and set them aside. Discard the thyme sprigs.
- Push the remaining mushrooms to one side of the pan. Melt the remaining butter in this empty space, sprinkle the flour over the butter and let it get very slightly golden.
- Slowly start adding about 1 cup from the soup while whisking all the time to avoid getting clumps. When the mixture is smooth, stir to coat the mushrooms with it. If it is too thick, you can add a bit more of the soup. Continue cooking for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the soup.
- Add the milk and the cream cheese and blend the soup very thoroughly with an immersion blender. Heat through again but don't let it boil anymore.
- Add the reserved mushrooms and adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle the soup with parsley and serve immediately as suggested above.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 1473mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 6gSugar: 10gProtein: 9g
Nutritional information is not always accurate.