Healthy banana split with turmeric, yogurt, peanut butter, and berries: a perfect light dessert or breakfast.
Feel like having something sweet yet low-calorie and low-sugar? Well, this healthy banana split might be the perfect solution.
This was my biggest revelation during this Turmeric Paste series. I liked all the other dishes a lot, very much indeed, but this banana split with peanut butter is my personal favorite.
I had actually made it for breakfast one morning, inspired by a recipe I saw in an older issue of Good Food magazine and I liked it so much, I kept making it again and again during the following weeks. At the moment it is my “to-go” recipe whenever I need something sweet yet healthy.
How to make?
- I use my beloved Turmeric Paste for Golden Milk to make the “dressing” for this dessert, which I simply stir into the yogurt. I do recommend taking the extra 15 minutes to make the turmeric paste.
- However, if you don’t feel like doing it, you replace it by stirring about ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder directly into the yogurt. Add a bit of grated ginger and a tiny sprinkle of black pepper, the turmeric paste does contain these two ingredients and they do give the yogurt the extra kick.
- Fruit: a large banana and some raspberries, fresh or frozen. You can use any other berries you like.
- Otherwise: flaked almonds (or other nuts), peanut butter, honey or maple syrup, cinnamon.
- You can top the healthy banana split with cocoa nibs and chia seeds, if you wish.
Otherwise, a very easy recipe, which can be made in less than five minutes and which will leave you completely satisfied. Do give it a try, I am sure you will not be disappointed.
And if you want to know more about turmeric and its benefits, not to mention a few more ideas for using the turmeric paste for golden milk, have a look at this article: Health Benefits and Uses for Turmeric Paste.
More healthy breakfast ideas:
- 1 banana
- small handful raspberries
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (Note 1)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon grated ginger
- a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper (Note 2)
- 1 teaspoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- a sprinkle of cinnamon
- a very small handful roasted almond flakes
- a sprinkle cocoa nibs, optional
- a sprinkle chia seeds, optional
- an extra drizzle of honey, optional
- In a small bowl mix together the yogurt, turmeric, ginger, pepper, peanut butter, honey, and cinnamon. Whisk well to combine the ingredients.
- Slice the banana lengthwise, place on a plate, and drizzle the turmeric yogurt on top.
- Add the raspberries, roasted almond flakes.
- If using, sprinkle the dessert with cocoa nibs, chia seeds, and an extra drizzle of honey. Serve immediately.
- I have 1,8 % fat yogurt.
- You could replace the turmeric, ginger, and pepper with ½ teaspoon turmeric paste for golden milk.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 44mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 5gSugar: 22gProtein: 7g
Nutritional information is not always accurate.