These Greek yogurt popsicles are easy to make, refreshing, and sure to please anyone. Combine the yogurt with watermelon or other fruit or berries and you will have a healthier kind of treat for hot summer days.
Watermelon Yogurt Popsicles
Homemade popsicles are something that makes my kids happy. Lemon, cherry, orange, or lime popsicles, some made with berries and buttermilk or sour cream, or these Greek yogurt popsicles with watermelon.
I decided to make some ice pops the other day after having some really heavy store-bought vanilla ice cream, which I didn't really like. I remembered the freshness of fruit popsicles and found it was time to dust the molds and make some again.
I used what I had in the fridge:
- A very thick slice of watermelon
- Greek yogurt
- Sour cream
- An overripe banana that nobody would eat anymore.
- The result was great, so good that I quickly wrote down the recipe afraid that I would forget it.
- The amounts of sugar and honey are quite optional, you can take more or less, depending on how sweet you like things and on how sweet your banana is.
- Same with the lemon juice, use more or less according to your taste.
How to make?
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl
- Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Adjust the taste with more honey or lemon (or both).
- Pour into molds.
- Place the sticks inside.
- You can replace the sour cream with more Greek yogurt or buttermilk.
- You can use fruit yogurt instead of plain yogurt, preferably something that would match the flavor of the fruit or berries you are using.
- To easily release the watermelon popsicles from the molds, run the molds under warm water.
More sweet summer treats?
- No-Churn Ice Cream
- Cream Roll with Strawberries
- Romanian Strawberry Foam (Spuma de capsuni)
- Berry Puff Pastry Cake
Greek Yogurt Popsicles (with Watermelon)
- 12 oz watermelon preferably seedless
- 1 overripe banana
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup sour cream Note
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- juice of 1 lemon
- Remove the peel of the watermelon (and the seeds, if there are any).
- Blend: Place the watermelon in the blender and the rest of the ingredients. Blend until very smooth.
- Adjust taste: Add more sugar/honey or lemon juice according to your preference.
- Freeze: Pour the mixture into the popsicle molds and freeze.