Last Updated on 06/06/2020 by Adina
These Greek yogurt popsicles are easy to make, refreshing, and sure to please anyone. Combine the yogurt with watermelon or other fruit or berries and you will have a healthier kind of treat for hot summer days.
Watermelon Yogurt Popsicles
Homemade popsicles are something that makes my kids happy. Lemon, orange or lime popsicles, some made with berries and buttermilk or sour cream or these Greek yogurt popsicles with watermelon.
I decided to make some ice pops the other day after having some really heavy store-bought vanilla ice cream, which I didn’t really like. I remembered the freshness of fruit popsicles and found it was time to dust the molds and make some again.
I used what I had in the fridge:
- A very thick slice of watermelon
- Greek yogurt
- Sour cream
- An overripe banana that nobody would eat anymore.
- The result was great, so good that I quickly wrote down the recipe afraid that I would forget it.
- The amounts of sugar and honey are quite optional, you can take more or less, depending on how sweet you like things and on how sweet your banana is.
- Same with the lemon juice, use more or less according to your taste.
Can you use other fruit?
Either watermelon or melon, like cantaloupe, different fruit brings different flavors.
Fresh, ripe peaches, nectarines or apricots are great as well. And why not try canned fruit, it works.
Try berries as well. I make these lollies with blueberries or strawberries on a regular basis. You can use either fresh or frozen berries.
How to make?
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl
- Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Adjust the taste with more honey or lemon (or both).
- Pour into molds.
- Place the sticks inside.
- You can replace the sour cream with more Greek yogurt or buttermilk.
- You can use fruit yogurt instead of plain yogurt, preferably something that would match the flavor of the fruit or berries you are using.
- To easily release the watermelon popsicles from the molds, run the molds under warm water.
More sweet summer treats?
- 350 g/ 12 oz watermelon, preferably seedless
- 1 overripe banana
- 200 g/ 7 oz/ ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- 150 g/ 2.3 oz/ 2/3 cup sour cream (Note)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- juice of 1 lemon
- Remove the peel of the watermelon (and the seeds, if there are any). Place the watermelon in the blender together with the rest of the ingredients and blend until very smooth.
- Add more sugar/honey or lemon juice according to your taste.
- Pour the mixture into the popsicle molds and freeze.
You can use only Greek yogurt.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 72Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 10mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information is not always accurate.