A simple vegan sweet potato soup with coconut milk, ginger and chili.
VEGAN SWEET POTATO SOUP
This vegan sweet potato soup is one the easiest soups you can imagine. A little bit of chopping, simmer the ingredients for a while, add some spices and coconut milk.
In no time at all and with barely any effort, you will have a delicious and healthy sweet potato soup with coconut milk on your table.
I’ve made several versions of a sweet potato soup over the years, sometimes with coconut milk or regular milk, sometimes without any milk at all, sometimes I’ve added regular potatoes, I’ve spiced the soup with cumin and coriander and sometimes only with salt and pepper.
I liked all the versions very much, but this one is my favorite now.
It must be the chili and the ginger, they give this coconut sweet potato soup a particular touch, it is hot but not overwhelmingly so, it is sweet due to the potatoes, it has that delicious coconut milk taste and velvety consistency and it is spicy due to that yellow curry paste. I can only recommend it.
COCONUT SWEET POTATO SOUP
I made the vegan sweet potato soup with coconut milk for my husband’s birthday party at the beginning of January. As I have mentioned in this post for the spicy split lentils and beef soup with vegetables, I cooked three different soups for my husband’s birthday and they were all a success.
One was one of my favorite soups, this turkey meatball and vegetable soup and the other one a traditional German lentil soup with frankfurters.
The ginger coconut sweet potato soup was the “women’ soup” so to say. All the women present at the party ate this sweet potato soup, some of them didn’t even bother to try the other two ones, because they would rather take seconds of this potato soup.
Same with me, I’ve only eaten the sweet potato soup on that evening and ate from the other two soups the next day, we had some leftovers. 🙂
So, keep this vegan coconut sweet potato soup in mind, it is wonderful on a cold winter evening, when you don’t feel like spending much time in the kitchen, but you still want to have something comforting and delicious for dinner.
INGREDIENTS FOR SWEET POTATO SOUP
- Red skinned, orange fleshed sweet potatoes.
- Not to be confused with yams, which aren’t sweet potatoes at all but a completely other sort of tuberous root vegetable.
- Sweet potatoes are often sold under the name of yams, which doesn’t really makes any sense, as they are not a sort of yam at all, yams and sweet potatoes are two different sorts of vegetables.
- Definitely use fresh ginger for the sweet potato soup, it cannot be replaced with ground ginger.
- I tend to use yellow curry paste to make this coconut sweet potato sweet, I like its flavor and it is generally not extremely hot.
- However, different brands of curry paste can be milder or hotter than other, so make sure you know how hot the curry paste is before you add it to the soup.
- Other sorts of curry paste can be used instead, green curry paste is also fine.
- If using red curry paste, start with a very small amount and only add more if you think you can manage the heat.
- I like using coconut oil when making a dish containing coconut milk, I think it enhances the coconut flavor.
- However, regular olive oil can be used instead.
- Vegetable milk – made with stock cubes is fine.
- Can of coconut milk
- Chili powder to taste
- Salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO SOUP?
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes and the carrots. Set aside.
- Finely chop the onions. Set aside.
- Finely chop the garlic and ginger. Set aside separately from the onion.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot and cook the onion until translucent, about 7 minutes on medium low heat stirring often.
- Add garlic, ginger and curry paste. Stir well.
- Add sweet potatoes and carrots and stir to coat for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, bring to boil, cook covered for about 20-25 minutes or until the sweet potatoes and the carrots are soft.
- Blend the coconut sweet potato soup with an immersion blender or in a stand blender.
- Add the coconut milk, stir well and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Adjust the taste with chili powder, sea salt and black pepper.
CAN YOU FREEZE SWEET POTATO SOUP?
- Yes, definitely. You can freeze the vegan sweet potato soup for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator and reheat until very hot.
HOW TO SERVE COCONUT SWEET POTATO SOUP?
The sweet potato soup with coconut milk can be served as a starter or as a main meal with some sandwiches or a salad.
Here are some vegan ideas:
Here are some non-vegan ideas:
PIN IT FOR LATER!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Serving Size: 1/6 of the dish
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 326 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 827mg Carbohydrates: 42g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 13g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g