Cauliflower mayonnaise salad with mustard and garlic dressing is a typical, easy-to-make Romanian salad recipe.
This used to be one of my favorite salads as a teenager. Just some cauliflower with mayo– simple but so tasty. We did not have this often, I think it was my mother that used to make it from time to time, especially at Christmas or New Year's Eve as a part of a festive meal.
Or the mushroom mayonnaise salad, another staple in the Romanian kitchen; if you would like to make that instead, just swap the cauliflower for two well-drained cans of sliced mushrooms.
Jump to recipe
- 500 g/ about 1 lb fresh cauliflower florets.
- For this particular salad, I only use the florets, but if you chop the stem and add it to it, it is fine as well.
- Otherwise, never discard the stem. Use it to make soup, cauliflower potato mash, or patties, for instance.
- If you don't want to use the stem immediately, chop it roughly, place it in a freezer bag, and freeze it until you need it.
- I use homemade mayo most of the time; it is easy to make, super cheap and is the best.
- Have you ever made mayonnaise with an immersion blender? It takes less than a minute, and you will have the best-tasting mayo ever!
- However, your favorite brand is fine as well.
- With garlic (plenty), lemon juice and mustard.
- The recipe only mentions one large garlic cloves, but I always use at least two, I just love it!
How to make cauliflower salad with mayo?
- Cook the cauliflower florets and let them cool completely.
- Mix mayo, grated garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Combine cauliflower and mayonnaise dressing.
- Garnish with finely chopped green onions or leeks.
More salads with mayonnaise
Do you like this recipe?Please leave a good rating in the recipe card below. Stay in touch through social media: Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram. Don’t forget to tag me #whereismyspoon when you try a recipe!
Romanian Cauliflower Mayonnaise Salad
- 1 lb cauliflower 450 g, Note
- 2-3 tablespoons homemade mayonnaise or your favorite brand
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice to taste
- 1 large garlic clove more to taste
- fine sea salt and black pepper
- scallions leeks or chives to garnish
- Cook cauliflower: Divide the cauliflower into small florets. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add some salt and the cauliflower, and cook until soft but not mushy. About 5 minutes from the moment when the water comes to a boil again, but keep checking. Drain the cauliflower thoroughly and let cool completely. Place the cauliflower florets into a bowl. 1 lb cauliflower/ 450 g
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, grated garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the dressing to the cauliflower and mix carefully.2-3 tablespoons homemade mayonnaise or your favorite brand + 1 teaspoon mustard + 2-3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice + 1 large garlic clove + fine sea salt and black pepper
- Garnish with finely chopped scallions, leeks, or chives, and serve chilled with bread, crackers, or as a side dish.