This bread is absolutely amazing. You can mix it in 3 minutes, then bake it without letting it rise, you don’t even have to preheat the oven. There is also no kneading involved either. Just weigh your ingredients (and if you use a scale and the metric system, you will only have one bowl to clean afterward), mix everything with a tablespoon, grease your loaf pan, kip everything inside, pop in the cold oven, leave it there for 1 hour and ta-ta: you have a wonderful whole wheat, healthy, super tasting bread, which you won’t be able to stop making over and over again. I discovered this recipe about 5 or 6 years ago and I have been making it hundreds of times since.
You can also play around with the ingredients. I normally make it with whole wheat flour, but I have also used whole wheat spelt flour, a mixture of whole wheat or whole spelt and white flour. Than you can use whatever seeds you like or replace them with nuts or even with some oats if you like that. Just make the original recipe a few times in the beginning to get a feeling for the consistency of the dough, than you can start experimenting. You won’t be sorry to try this bread. Give it a try and it will become a standard in your house.
You can eat it with anything you like, it taste just as well with only butter and salt or with jam, peanut butter, cheese, different spreads, meats, ANYTHING!!!
Serves: 1 loaf
- 500 ml/16.90 oz lukewarm water
- 40 g/1.41 oz fresh yeast or 2 small sachets of dry yeast/4 ½ teaspoons dry yeast
- (1 of my dry sachets weighs 7 g/0.24 oz)
- 500 g/17.6 oz /a bit more than 4 cups whole wheat/spelt flour
- 50 g/5 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 50 g/5 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 50 g/5 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fine salt
- Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water. Place your bowl on the digital scale and reset the scale. Weigh all the rest of the ingredients directly in the bowl. Mix everything with a spoon. The dough will be pretty wet and runny, that is how it is supposed to be. You won't be able to knead it even if you wanted to.
- Grease a loaf pan (circa 30 cm long) with butter. Put the dough inside, level it a bit with the spoon.
- Put the loaf pan in the COLD oven and set the temperature at 200 degrees Celsius/400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake for 1 hour. Take the bread out of the pan, check if it's ready by raping it with hat is should sound hollow. The underside of the bread should also be a deep golden brown. If it is not that place it in the oven for another 10 minutes, directly on the rack, upside down and without the pan.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool down on a wire rack. Enjoy warm (with salted butter) or cold with anything else you like.